Friday, January 28, 2011

When Squirrels Fly!

Wednesday night of this week we heard a terrible commotion outside. We opened the garage door to find this little dude in Blackie's (Our Outside Kitty) Mouth. I grabbed a welding glove to protect my arm and attempted to break things up. I finally managed to rescue the little bugger from certain and painful death, and Hudson snapped this pic. We placed it on a nearby Pin Oak and then it soared into the cool night air, and away from danger. Hudson now believes me that squirrels indeed can fly! Blackie however, may never forgive me for stealing her prize catch and releasing it!



2 comments:

  1. Just for future reference, if a squirrel, bird, whatever, has been in the mouth of a cat (or dog, for that matter) and the skin's been punctured by teeth, it really needs medical attention in the form of antibiotics within 24 hours or so or it will likely die.

    I've had more experience than I'd care to think about with this particular subject (have taken a number of squirrels away from cats and one dog). Depending on laws where you live, you may need to find a wildlife rehabilitator or a vet who's qualified as one to treat the animal in question.

    As it was explained to me by a rehabber after I asked what it was that was so harmful, since cats (and dogs, I'd imagine) eat so many odd things, their mouths are full of bacteria. This is what works its way through any prey you wrestle away from them.

    ReplyDelete